Monday 5 April 2010

Artist's House.

How many women would put up with THIS!

I recently read a blog that promoted the idea of 'Blogger's House' (Willow, of Willow Manor); one of her readers suggested that it was only really satisfying to clean, if one was able to notice the difference afterwards. I know what she meant.

Others suggested they lived in 'Artist's House', where mess was simply endemic. The above photo doesn't come close to showing the state of Cro's studio. It's probably more cluttered than a municipal rubbish tip. Cro claims that everything is essential, and everything is in it's place. But frankly it's a disgrace.

He has collections of small pieces of used string, of bits of wood, and of plastic bags. He treasures broken garden tools, and has rolls of rusting wire netting. His pile of silly hats is legendary, and his old sweater and T shirt collection spills out from it's ample box. Most of his 'stuff' is a mystery; pots of evil smelling powders, bottles of unknown liquids, and jars of 'goodness-knows-what'. His unpublished books are everywhere, and brushes stick out from jam jars filled with oddly coloured gunge.

I despair.

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. Absolute rubbish! Let me re-phrase that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is EXACTLY how I remember his little corner of the studio at college, Lady M. I wonder if he still keeps prize specimens of dried dog-turds in little boxes too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He obviously hasn't changed in the past 60 odd years

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a sign of genius. Just shut the door and place your thoughts elsewhere. ((ick))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining my blog! Cro could be a twin to my husband. He's an electrician and works mainly for the hospitals. You can well imagine what great junk he brings home. As I mentioned in my blog-I have an operating room light in my studio. That's part of the good junk. Now there's other stuff like his ice machine that was ridiculously useless (he wanted to make snow cones with this behemoth). I'm Swedish/Anglo also but with a lot of French thrown into the mix. I'd like to know more about the Swedish and French traditions. It's so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could your husband get me some serious pain-killers, Julie? Paracetemol just doesn't work any more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julie. Good to meet another Anglo/Swede. The only real Swedish traditions that my mother followed were to do with Christmas, Cro and I continue this. As for French tradition, Cro writes about unusual things quite often in his Magnon's Meanderings blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, its nice to know that this problem is world wide! I guess I just think the English are all neat freaks???where'd I get that from?

    ReplyDelete
  9. *giggles*
    Love that lonely red toolbox, with the sulking drill (or is it a glue gunn?)!

    ReplyDelete